Vitat's homepage
28 Mar 2024, 19:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 21.03.08 Произведено обновление сайта/Site was updated

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IP-BUS to Computer  (Read 27883 times)
JaxonD24

View Profile Email
« on: 11 Jun 2006, 05:17 »

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, and I would like to say that after a few hours reading through some posts, I am very impressed with all the work that has been done concerning the IP-BUS and Pioneer head unit!

I have a Pioneer head unit and the IP-BUS cable. I was looking for a way to control the computer through the head unit and found this forum. The problem is I have no knowledge of electronics and I also don't want to add more hardware to the setup I have, so building a hardware emulator and the YAMMP3 is not really an option. From what I have read, the hardware emulator interprets the data from the head unit and converts it to a standard RS232 format. Can the IP-BUS cable be connected directly to a serial port on a computer where software interpets and converts the data into commands which can control a software MP3 player?

If this is possible, it would be very good.

Thanks for any help.

Damian.
vS
Junior

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2006, 17:12 »

The IP-BUS cable can't be directly connect to RS232 PC port, it only can connect acros "converter" that been convert RS232 command in/to IP-BUS
Converter-emulator can be build based on schema of present on this forum EMULATOR, with added RS232 level converter (MAX232) end correction of soft in microcontroller.
GnatGoSplat
Junior

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: 02 Oct 2006, 19:08 »

Hi, I also want to connect IP-Bus to computer.
Is the only thing necessary, is to connect CAN-BUS IC to MAX232, then connect MAX232 to serial port?
If yes, then what settings are necessary (baud rate, bits, parity)?

Is it possible to connect a converter to the IP-Bus when there is already another device on it?
My goal is to use the converter to "listen" to the IP-Bus and log all communication on it.  I want to decode the XM Radio mode.

Also, before I start, has the XM Radio mode already been decoded?
Vitat
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 Oct 2006, 03:22 »

Hi, I also want to connect IP-Bus to computer.
Is the only thing necessary, is to connect CAN-BUS IC to MAX232, then connect MAX232 to serial port?
If yes, then what settings are necessary (baud rate, bits, parity)?
No. Protocols and levels are very different.

Is it possible to connect a converter to the IP-Bus when there is already another device on it?
My goal is to use the converter to "listen" to the IP-Bus and log all communication on it.  I want to decode the XM Radio mode.
You can connect converter between HeadUnit and another device directly to IP-Bus and connect converter out from MAX232 to serial port. Upload logging firmware and listen communication.
GnatGoSplat
Junior

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: 06 Oct 2006, 18:17 »

I am a little confused.  How come the Atmega8 UART can be programmed to talk to the CAN-BUS IC, but an RS232 port cannot, not even through MAX232?  I thought RS232 uses a UART too?

Is any extra circuitry required to connect converter between head unit and another device?  Or can it just be connected in parallel like a Y-splitter?

Is a logging firmware already available, or would I need to modify your Yammp3 firmware to turn it into a logging firmware?  I did a search and found no references to logging firmware.  Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with the C language.
Vitat
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 Oct 2006, 20:08 »

ATMega UART can't be programmed to talk with CAN-BUS IC! ATMega UART only for RS232 to PC or other UART device like MP3 player.
Look to the shematic diagramm from main site hardly!
Connect converter to IP-Bus parallel like spliter. If converter not be transmit any data - your HU and another device be working fine.
logging firmware.
GnatGoSplat
Junior

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: 06 Oct 2006, 20:27 »

Ok, I think I understand.  I looked at schematic and see RX and TX connected to INT0 and ICP.
I was trying to learn by reading C source, but I don't know C so I misunderstood it for using the UART.
Thanks for the logging firmware!

Is Atmega64 compatible with Atmega8 firmware?
Vitat
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 Oct 2006, 20:58 »

Is Atmega64 compatible with Atmega8 firmware?
No.
GnatGoSplat
Junior

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: 05 Dec 2006, 17:33 »

Does the attached schematic look correct if I want to convert between IP Bus and 5V Serial?
I will use an external circuit to convert 5V serial to RS-232 so that part isn't in the schematic.

* LoggerSchema.gif (15.83 KB, 998x432 - viewed 4549 times.)
Vitat
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 Dec 2006, 02:33 »

Does the attached schematic look correct if I want to convert between IP Bus and 5V Serial?
I will use an external circuit to convert 5V serial to RS-232 so that part isn't in the schematic.
Swap the RX(4) and TX(14) pins at Mega8.
Swap the 2 and 3 input pins at lm393.
Remove R10, it's not needed.
GnatGoSplat
Junior

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: 06 Dec 2006, 22:34 »

Thanks Vitat, I have fixed it, I think!

* LoggerSchema.gif (15.54 KB, 998x432 - viewed 2796 times.)
Vitat
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 Dec 2006, 02:57 »

Once more.
Put a p-n-p transistor and swap collector and emitter pins.
GnatGoSplat
Junior

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2006, 02:15 »

Thanks Vitat, I have fixed the schematic and built the circuit.
Will your firmware do anything if Yampp3 is not connected?
I tried connecting to my stereo's IP-bus, but M-CD is not available.  I am just trying to test it right now.
Also, what are the correct settings for the Fuse bits?
Vitat
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2006, 00:18 »

Thanks Vitat, I have fixed the schematic and built the circuit.
Will your firmware do anything if Yampp3 is not connected?
I tried connecting to my stereo's IP-bus, but M-CD is not available.  I am just trying to test it right now.
Also, what are the correct settings for the Fuse bits?

M-CD must be available without connecting yampp3.
Fuse bits for Mega8?
GnatGoSplat
Junior

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2006, 04:26 »

Yeah, Mega8 has fuse bits or option bits.  I know the one needs to be set for external oscillator, but I don't know what to do about the rest.  I wonder if that's why my HU doesn't recognize M-CD?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0.5 beta 1© Bloc