Vitat's homepage
28 Apr 2024, 16:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 21.03.08 Произведено обновление сайта/Site was updated

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IP-Bus with higher functionality  (Read 13229 times)
vabiro

View Profile
« on: 24 Oct 2003, 23:15 »

Hi,

I am very interested in mobile applications of computers and have been
looking at a couple of related projects:
DashPC: http://www.dashpc.com/
Linux GPS navigator: http://www.geocities.com/linuxcar/
GpsDrive:  http://www.kraftvoll.at/software/index.shtml

Recently I have become interested in how I could tie the system into some of
the very cool Pioneer motorised head units using their IP-bus protocol.

It seems that you have unlocked the IP-bus sufficiently to mimic a CD changer. Is it possable to access the touch screen and communicate it back to something like the DashPC? This could really expand the potential of this (eg. navigation, DVD, Satellite radio, etc).

Victor
dISCObUG

25754747 discobug@dbd.ru mikediscobug
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2003, 02:42 »

Vitat will reply soon, but  we`re gladly surprised about DashPC implemenation and its great look.
Honestly, we had the similar idea separately due to the company we both work for goes into VIA Epia distribution on the local market.  Making an Epia-based PC for the mobile application by ourselves is the close future =)

gettin` dISCOnnected...
Vitat
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2003, 03:19 »

At this time I`ve unlocked the protocol that is used to interchange between the Head Unit and Multi-CD. There is an emulator shown on my website. Briefly, it is a command conversion unit from IP-Bus into RS-232 and backward. So, HU can be easily connected to COM-port of just any PC.  
But, if i did not misunderstood, you`re talking about the inverted task - to manage the HU from some kind of remote control (turn on/off, change the volume and so on). Unfortunately, I am not able to do this yet. This possibility exists, and this remote can be done, but I need some device with such ability to check out exactly how it works.
Since I have the CD-changer, I was able to investigate the protocol and make a working sample of its emulator.
There is no device with HU remote management around, so I have to give up with that yet.
Once again, now my emulator can work as CD-changer unit and perform its functions only. Wink
Vitat
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2003, 03:38 »

Even more, if anybody out here has such a unit with HU management functions, it could be a great support for us to do the following:

Connect my emulator to the bus;
Scan it (record the interchange protocol);
Send the record to me (or publish it on forum).

I will provide the corresponding firmware, and will examine the record.
vabiro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2003, 04:01 »

Vitat,

Thanks for your quick response.

I just re-read mu post and realised that I wasn't very clear.

What I ment was that I would like to be able to use the Pioneer head unit's touch pad to control the DashPC unit.

For example, controling the GPS Navigation software for example: entering addresses, switching resolution etc..

Right now, the DashPC users are using wireless keyboards and mice, or single purpose LCD panels with USB or PS/2 interface. I would think that the integrated design of the motorised display would be much cleaner, and less likely to catch the eye of a thief.

cheers
Victor
Vitat
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2003, 04:44 »

Quote from: vabiro
I would like to be able to use the Pioneer head unit's touch pad to control the DashPC unit.
It's not a big deal. But it possible only in "Multi-CD" mode now. You can translate navigation key press by emulator to COM port. I can make some changes in firmware.
But the HU will always show the string "Multi-CD" on display. It's convenient?
vabiro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2003, 19:29 »

Vitat,

I suppose the "Multi-CD" would be better than nothing, but I just can't stop hoping for a more versitile interface. The ideal would be to gain some sort of direct access to the touch screen. Then touching the screen could simply activate the approporiate application as if a mouse was clicked on the spot.

From what I can gather, the IP-bus has some method to communicate with Pioneer's Navigation and TV tuner. So I would hope that there should be a way to make use of the existing Pioneer systems.

In any case, I would think that you would need the Navigation and TV tuner to reverse engineer the IP-bus signaling.

Victor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0.5 beta 1© Bloc